Express Yourself!

Day 19/30 Day Blogging Challenge.  Ok, I confess I am guilty for interrupting the challenge but I must confess I think I am hooked!  The whole point of the 30 day challenges is to create a new habit.  I am having a blast creating this blog which right now has no real theme.  It's a blog about nothing and everything.   

Before writing this blog post I was working on my Toastmaster's speech which I'll be presenting on Thursday.  The title of the speech is I Am a Loud Speaker.  I chose this topic because the feedback I received about my first speech was to speak louder.  So in my obsessive compulsive way I decided to investigate what it means to "Speak Louder".  

In the process I discovered forums that discuss how to deal with loud talkers in the office, a Globe and Mail blog article about a loud talker who was booted off an Amtrak train for speaking loudly on her cell phone for 16 hours straight!!  I even found and bought a T-Shirt from Zazzle that says, "I'm a Loud Talker, But I'm Working on It!" 

I learned that being a Loud Talker has a negative connotation vs being a Loud Speaker.  Being a loud speaker can be interpreted in two ways.  The first being, and I think the most obvious, to raise the volume of your voice so that you can be audible.  If you are relatively healthy, you can accomplish this by learning how to use the full capacity of your lungs.  Cardiovascular exercises and breathing-meditative exercises can help you increase the capacity of your lungs.  You can take voice lessons and learn facial exercises, postural exercises and intention exercises to help you project your voice.

The second interpretation of being a Loud Speaker, which I think is more challenging, is to Speak Out
and Express Yourself with confidence.  Back in 1989 Madonna implored women in her hit song Express Yourself to never settle for second best when it comes to love.  Madonna said the ultimate theme behind the song was that, "if you don't express yourself, if you don't say what you what you want, then you're not going to get it.  And in effect you are chained down by your inability to say what you feel or go after what you want" (Michael, Mick St. (2004), Madonna 'talking': Madonna in Her Own Words, Omnibus Press, ISBN 1844494187).

I have always been a Madonna fan because she epitomizes and embodies the phrase EXPRESS YOURSELF.   Ladies and Gent. here she is live in 1985 performing her hit song Express Yourself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get-Away this Summer in the Laurentians at Chez Mina!

Spring Cleansing Your Way to Wellness - The Energetic Body - Part 2/3

The Energetic Body System - A Simple Explanation