Pow-Wow Kanawake

Day 9/30 Day Blogging Challenge.  Devet pronounced Devet in Croation


I would usually be sleeping by now but I am very committed to my 30 Day Blogging Challenge.  I usually get good results from my disciplined efforts.  The last two challenges were:  30 days straight of Yoga and 30 days of vegetarian eating.  The next 30 Day Challenge I am contemplating of doing is 30 days without eating sugar.  I wonder if that includes fruits?  Got this sugar-free diet idea from Matt Cutts who I have mentioned in a previous post.


Today was another stupendous hot Summer day in beautiful Montreal.  It was a perfect day to attend the 21st Annual Pow-Wow in Kanawake.  The costumes were spectacular and very colorful.  There were moments of surrealism as I walked around the tent shops full of crafts, art, instruments, clothing, jewelry, furs and food kiosks.  It's hard to express in words the way I felt.  There was a fleeting feeling/thought that passed through my body as I was observing a young boy, maybe 6 -7 years old, dancing.  It was as if, all of a sudden, I connected to all his ancestors who have been living in North America for thousands of years. 


Sad to admit but the only knowledge I have about Native Americans is through Hollywood movies and maybe a little bit of Canadian High School history.  I've never entered a Native American Reserve nor do 
I know any Natives. I realized how ignorant I was about this group of people and their rich culture.  They felt to me like an ancient people.  Does this make sense?  


Perhaps Joseph Campbell might say to me that the Native Americans represent a certain archetypal idea or ideal?  Like I said it's hard to put it in words.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get-Away this Summer in the Laurentians at Chez Mina!

Spring Cleansing Your Way to Wellness - The Energetic Body - Part 2/3

The Energetic Body System - A Simple Explanation